Northbrook Public Library seeks a Youth Services Library Assistant
Schedule: 15 hours per week including evening and weekend hours
About the Position
We are seeking a creative and team-oriented Youth Services Assistant to join our Youth Services Department.
This position is responsible for:
- Providing reference and readers advisory at a busy service desk in Youth Services.
- Assisting, developing, and leading programming for children and teens.
The Youth Services Assistant is involved in the planning and maintenance of the department, including interactive play areas, displays, and the collections. Other duties include providing outreach and assisting with newsletters and calendars.
Qualifications and Experience
We are looking for candidates with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience working with children in a library or school setting. Applicants should have at least one year in customer service with strong public service skills, as well as experience working with children and knowledge of children and teen literature. Fluency using computers and technology is required.
We want to hear from you if you:
- fully embrace our core values of innovation, inclusion, life-long learning, customer-focus, and collaboration,
- possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills,
- thrive in a collaborative environment across and within departments,
- are committed to highlighting diverse representation in the programming offered, books recommended, and resources provided
- have a positive outlook and focus on learning from failure,
- are flexible with change.
We are seeking diverse candidates that reflect different identities and encourage those who have gained skills outside of traditional education to apply. All abilities are encouraged to apply. Experience working with children, birth through high school is required. Korean language skills are a plus.
Click on links to read the job description, the library's Service Standards and learn more about our award-winning library.