Northbrook Public Library
Part-time: 16 hours/week
About the Position
If you are friendly and team-oriented, and you enjoy keeping things well-organized, the position of library Shelver could be the one for you. We are seeking people who are detail-oriented, value working with diverse groups of people, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidates will possess the ability to adapt quickly, provide feedback and work independently. Flexible thinking is a key skill for success in this position.
Applicants must possess the ability to:
Qualifications and Experience
- Perform various, library material movement functions such as:
- Sorting, shelving, shifting and moving materials from the Circulation workroom to the public floor
- Perform repetitive, detailed, precision-heavy tasks like shelf-reading, alphabetizing and inspecting materials for correct placement.
- Utilize a working knowledge of the Dewey Decimal organization system
- Interact with patrons:
- Direct patron questions to the appropriate service desk while on the public floor
- Utilize basic computer knowledge including checking email, reading spreadsheets and logs
- Participate in relevant training, continuing education and/or professional development.
- Physical requirements of this position include constant standing, walking, stooping and kneeling.
- Ability to lift up to 35 lbs. and push up to 75 lbs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
We are seeking diverse candidates that reflect different identities and encourage those who have gained skills outside of traditional education to apply.
All abilities are encouraged to apply.
Click on links to read the job description, the library's Service Standards and learn more about our award-winning library. Apply here.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Knowledge, skill and mental development equivalent to two years of high school education.
- Basic knowledge of routine library functions and procedures.